Sometimes in the summer season, we feel like having some fun trying out something new. I was not into cooking new dishes in a full-fledged manner until my sweet little kids forced me to do so. My little ones would love to try out something special more often during the summer months, and being the mommy dear, I happily gave in to the requests. Here I have brought for you some yummy and healthy favorites of the summer season. You would also love to know that these are fast recipes which take very little time to get cooked. So enjoy!
Just try out these convenient and quick salmon burgers. All you need to do is mix up salmon with fresh basil and red onion, and you get wonderful burgers that have a calorie content of below 200. Club the mixture with toasted fococcia bread and you are ready for the summer with your gourmet meal.
- Red onion, finely chopped, 1 cup
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced, 1/4 cup
- Skinned and chopped salmon fillet, 1 pound
- Black pepper, freshly ground, 1/4 teaspoon
- Cooking spray
- Hot pepper sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Egg white, 1 large
- Focaccia, toasted, 8 slices
In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients. Then in a small bowl blend egg white and hot pepper sauce. Combine the salmon mixture to the egg white mixture, continually stirring.
Make 4 equal portions out of the mixture and prepare a patty of ½ inch thickness out of each. Over moderate to high heat, heat a big nonstick skillet. Apply some cooking spray and coat the pan. Cook the salmon patties for around 4 minutes on either side or till you get the desired amount of softness and flavor. Over the toasted focaccia, serve the patties.
Summer Vegetable Toastadas with Chicken
This recipe can be prepared in a jiffy and you get to taste some yummy and tender chicken. This dish is best served along with black beans.
- Canola oil, 2 teaspoons
- Kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Chicken breast tenders, 12 ounces
- Fresh corn kernels, 1 cup
- Black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon
- Red onion, chopped, 1 cup
- Cooking spray
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, divided, 3 tablespoons
- Zucchini, chopped, 1 cup
- Salsa verde, 1/2 cup
- Flour tortillas, fat-free, 4 in number
- Shredded cheese, 3 ounces
Get the broiler preheated.
Take the first 3 ingredients and mix them properly, while stirring continuously. With the heat in medium to high mode, heat the canola oil in a big-sized nonstick skillet. Over the chicken, evenly sprinkle the spice blend. Place the chicken in the pan and sauté for around 4 to 5 minutes. Then add zucchini, corn and onion to the pan, sautéing for a couple of minutes or until you feel that the chicken is ready. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro and the salsa. Cook for around 3 minutes or until you see that the entire liquid has evaporated, while stirring continuously.
Over a baking sheet, arrange tortillas in one layer. With the help of the cooking spray, lightly coat the tortillas. You can work with a pair of tortillas simultaneously. Broil till you see a light brown color (it will take approximately 3 minutes). Place about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the middle of every tortilla, with a spoon. Sprinkle around 1/4 cup cheese over each serving. Again broil for another couple of minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Carry out the same process with the leftover chicken mixture, tortillas and cheese. Take about 3/4 teaspoon from the leftover cilantro and sprinkle on every serving. Serve as soon as ready.
Squash Soup with Parmesan and Pasta
When you have a delightful combination of squash and fresh summer herbs, what more can you want? This healthy soup is ideal for the summer months.
- Less-sodium, fat-free chicken broth, 6 cups
- Water, 3 cups
- Farfalle (bow tie pasta), uncooked, 2 1/4 cups
- Yellow squash, finely chopped, 2 cups
- Fresh parsley, chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Zucchini, finely chopped, 2 cups
- Fresh basil, chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh thyme, chopped, 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh oregano, chopped, 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper, freshly ground, 1/2 teaspoon
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated, 1/2 cup
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced, 1/4 cup
Boil a mixture of water and broth in a Dutch oven. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes after adding the pasta, or until you see the pasta becoming tender. Add in squash along with the following 7 ingredients (till pepper). Simmer for around 5 minutes after reducing the heat. When you see the squash tender and the pasta done, turn off the flame. Sprinkle with basil and cheese.
Strawberry Salad Dressed with Poppy Seed
Yes, you can always make this strawberry salad a favorite dish in any party. The recipe does make for a very good side dish in summer. Sometimes I used to have it for dinner as a main dish.
- Sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Fat-free milk, 2 tablespoons
- Light mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons
- Poppy seeds, 1 tablespoon
- White wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- Romaine lettuce, 1 (10-ounce) bag
- Strawberries, sliced, 1 cup
- Slivered almonds, toasted, 2 tablespoons
In a small bowl, stir the first five ingredients. Stir continuously by means of a whisk.
In a large bowl, place the lettuce and then add almonds and strawberries. Toss all these ingredients very well so that they get combined. Evenly distribute the salad in 6 plates. On each serving, drizzle some dressing (about one tablespoon).